Studio Limitations - Any?

Started by JMack, January 31, 2008, 05:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMack

Owen, I guess your the only one who can answer this.

I've been using odcl since version 1 and have created alot of complicated forms and alot of code.  Over the last year I've been consolidating my forms into 1 odcl file and my lsp files into 1 vlx file.  My question is;

Is there a limit to the number of forms odcl can manage in one file and is there a limit to the number of pictures odcl is capable of storing (my pictures are all 32bit png icons) in one file?

A side question is about the picture folder.  I'm discouraged from deleting pcitures because it resorts the index.  Has anyone considered revising the fuctionality to also use string keys.  Image functions could be revised like this;

(dcl_Grid_SetColumnImage Grid1
    nColumn [as Integer]
    nImageIndex [as String or Long]
)

Maybe this could be implimented in version 6.0.

owenwengerd

Quote from: JMack on January 31, 2008, 05:11:39 PM
Is there a limit to the number of forms odcl can manage in one file and is there a limit to the number of pictures odcl is capable of storing (my pictures are all 32bit png icons) in one file?

OpenDCL code can handle 32,000 forms and pictures, but you'll encounter severe performance limitations long before you'll encounter those limits. As a general rule, performance of your project will degrade as you add more forms and pictures, because there are numerous scenarios where the code has to iterate through every form to find the one it needs. The more there are, the longer this search will take. Pictures have the same problem: the more there are, the longer it takes to find one.

There are already feature requests for improving the handling of pictures in the picture folder. Using string keys is one idea, although this introduces a new requirement for ensuring that all keys are unique. Picture folder enhancements are in the OpenDCL 6 plans.

JMack

Thanks owen. I've got 16 forms and 44 images, no probs yet.

owenwengerd

BTW, deleting a picture from the picture folder removes all references to the deleted picture throughout the project, but it should not affect the remaining pictures.