MTH and translation

Started by Fred Tomke, February 08, 2008, 12:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Tomke

Hello,

how important are the mth-files in the enu-folder? Or better: what are they doing?
I ask this question 'cause Owen mentioned that he will give us more information about localization efforts soon.
Why am I asking this?

I'm afraid that when somebody translate the mth's and a new release will come up all the files have to translate anew. I thought when I translate it into German (ja tolko govorju nemjetzki jasijk) I would do it in a database structure. But then I dreamt of a web-based database that all the localisations can be combined while compilation.

Structure like ENU | MTHFILE | GER | RUS | SPN | ITA ... or deeper structured.

In this case only strings have to be translated which were not localised yet.

On the other hand, maybe Owen has something different in his mind... then I will remove my post.

Fred
Fred Tomke
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Landespflege

[ landscaper - landscape developer - digital landscape and urban design]

owenwengerd

Quote from: Fred Tomke on February 08, 2008, 12:18:30 AM
how important are the mth-files in the enu-folder? Or better: what are they doing?

I'm not quite sure I understand your question specifically about MTH files, but they are the source for intelligent help of all control methods. Information about properties comes from the resource DLL.

Fred, it's a nice fantasy to create a web based interface for translating OpenDCL, but unfortunately, the reality of localization is much more difficult. I still need to develop some kind of formal system to keep track of new localizable resources that get added over time, but ultimately it will require a manual process (maybe nothing more complicated than a post in a forum) to disseminate the information. I have been involved with localization projects before, and even tried to use some tools that help manage the process as you suggest, but in the end those efforts always took more time to manage and babysit the process than to just do it manually.