Localization Project info

Started by BazzaCAD, February 11, 2008, 11:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BazzaCAD

Quote from: owenwengerd on February 08, 2008, 03:18:20 PM
We need volunteers to help create local language versions of OpenDCL!

OpenDCL 5 is at a stage where translation work can begin. I still need to create some materials to help describe the files that need to be translated, and provide some direction about each type of file, but I would like to start now by getting a management structure in place.

If you want to participate, please reply here and let us know which language you'd like to work on. I will appoint one person (local language manager) to be in charge of each language. If you are willing and able to take on the responsibility of managing a local language version of OpenDCL, please mention that as well.

We will add new forums here for each language project. These forums will provide a place for collaborating on translation work as well as local language support, and the local language manager for each language will be in charge of the forums for their language.

The actual translation work will consist of several phases. The first phase for each language will be to translate localizable resources for the OpenDCL Runtime modules. The second phase will be translating property and method descriptions for OpenDCL Studio. The third phase will be translating all other localizable resources used by OpenDCL Studio. The fourth phase will be translating documentation and samples. The last phase will be correcting errors and keeping localized files up to date.

Local language managers will provide translated files to me as they are completed for inclusion in new builds of OpenDCL. Just like work on other parts of OpenDCL, localization will be an ongoing task. The local language manager will need to make corrections, translate new localizable resources as they are added, and update samples, help files, and documentation as they evolve with the project.

Localization is not easy. There is no easy way to simply put all localizable resources into a database, and automate the process of plugging in translated text. This means it will be a bit messy, with many different types of files to work with. Over time, I'm sure we will find better ways of doing things, but at least initially it will be pretty boring work. Nevertheless, it will require nothing more than Notepad, and with all of you helping, it will not be so bad.
a.k.a.
Barry Ralphs
barryDOTralphsATgmailDOTcom

Kelie

Quote from: owenwengerd on February 08, 2008, 03:18:20 PM
The actual translation work will consist of several phases. The first phase for each language will be to translate localizable resources for the OpenDCL Runtime modules.

Owen, can you please elaborate a little about the first phase task?

owenwengerd

Quote from: Kelie on February 15, 2008, 08:27:37 AM
Owen, can you please elaborate a little about the first phase task?

I will add more information next week. First I need to complete some other work. :)

anishtain4

I'm a native Persian, I'd be glad if I could be of any help too. Thought I don't have enough time to be manager but I do my best in translations