[Semi-OT]: Tips and tricks for the Image List

Started by Peter2, November 12, 2014, 02:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter2

I tried to add icons to the Image List of a Tree-control. There is no problem to make it, but it looks ugly like hell - my fault, I'm no designer and no illustrator.

Question:
Are there tips and tricks and hints and workflow for a low-level-illustrator to create images with an acceptable quality, based  on screenshots?

E.g. I want to make an image for my tree-control, based on a screenshot
23943094_example_for_icon.png"  border="0

What's the best way?

Thanks in advance

EDIT:
Is there an "import of blockicons" from a drawing?
Peter
ODCL 8.1.... German, AutoCAD 2017 - 2018, Win 7 x64, Win 10

owenwengerd

I'm no image list expert, but I can tell you that all images you put in the image list must be precisely the correct size. It will deduce the image size based on the first image you add. Additional images must be exactly the same size, or you'll get strange results.

Fred Tomke

Hi, Peter2,

That won't work because all the OpenDCL controls only use images from the project's imagelist or the control's image list (tree, grid, listview).
The only control that supports image files is the PictureBox.
For the case you want to ignore the DWGList and the BlockList control, I recommend you to build an .NET dll component providing a lisp function to generate block preview images and export them to a cache folder. I used such a component for a preview of larger imagefiles in an OpenDCL form.
But I'm afraid you won't have a chance to show the thumbnail in a tree at runtime.

Here is a link to Keans sample.
http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2011/11/generating-preview-images-for-all-blocks-in-an-autocad-drawing-using-net.html

Regards, Fred
Fred Tomke
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Landespflege

[ landscaper - landscape developer - digital landscape and urban design]

Peter2

Quote from: Fred Tomke on November 12, 2014, 10:28:22 AM
...only use images from the project's imagelist or the control's image list (tree, grid, listview)...
This brings us back to the starting question:
Any workflow to create quick 16x16 icons without Photoshop, GIMP, Iconeditor and so on?
Peter

Fred Tomke

Yes, there is: click on the link of my last post :)
Fred
Fred Tomke
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Landespflege

[ landscaper - landscape developer - digital landscape and urban design]

Peter2

Quote from: Peter2 on November 12, 2014, 02:34:33 AM
..Question:
Are there tips and tricks and hints and workflow for a low-level-illustrator to create images with an acceptable quality, based  on screenshots?...
I found a great web service which creates icons in different size from an uploaded image:
http://www.generateit.net
Peter