Better web browser control

Started by honkinberry, March 26, 2019, 04:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

honkinberry

We're really tiring of the Microsoft Web Browser ActiveX Control, and would love to use something based on Chromium.
I found this: https://www.webkitx.com/
But couldn't get OpenDCL to see the OCX control as an embeddable control.
Is there something I can relay on to them, or more information I can provide, or anything at all to help get this to happen?

--J

owenwengerd

Did you test on x86 or x64? Their web site mentions x86 controls, but I don't see any mention of x64.

honkinberry

In the downloads you can see they have 32 bit and 64 bit.
I only downloaded the 64 bit one, could that be the issue?

--J

honkinberry

Yeah, downloaded the 32 and 64 bit one, and OpenDCL sees it!
So I'll play with that, and update here with what I find.

--J

honkinberry

I played with it some more, here are my findings.

Issue #1, is that even if everything was to work perfectly, their web site is horrendous, support lacking, and most importantly the distribution documentation is utterly unacceptable, without so much as a user forum to assist.  Even going the route of their distribution "directions", it entails copying about 160MB of files (and ostensibly registering them) -- i.e. creating a distribution runtime manually.

Issue #2, their control is managed via the Load event, which is where a developer is to add their UUID and eventual registration key to unlock the control.  But OpenDCL doesn't expose this Load event, or to my knowledge have a UUID even if it did.  I contacted them to see if there is a solution to this, but haven't heard back.  So in the meantime, it is impossible to even test the control from an OpenDCL form, as the control does not instantiate.

So back to the drawing board!

--J