Runtime Installation

Started by PaulG, November 22, 2011, 01:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulG

Sorry if this is somewhere on another post, but I am trying to find out which installations to use.

Does runtime work the same way for users, where I can install it and load it by using the command "opendcl"?

I have studio installed on my machine 6.0.2.3 and built a few dialog boxes with this version.

I just downloaded 6.0.2.5, and ran the "runtime" installation on another user's computer, opened up Autocad and typed in "OpenDcl" and it told me "unknown command".  I like the idea that I can simply use the "opendcl" command to load the correct ARX file.

We all have 64-bit WinXP, Autocad MEP 2010.

What should I be using?  Do I need to download another version (older or newer)?
Do I need to have the lisp routine load the correct ARX file instead?

Please help direct me.  Thank you in advance.
Paul

BazzaCAD

You should only have to install the run-time on other end users PC's.
Any chance you installed the run-time before installing Acad?
a.k.a.
Barry Ralphs
barryDOTralphsATgmailDOTcom

owenwengerd

As Barry said, installing the runtime MSI should enable demand-loading via the OPENDCL command. Did the install finish without errors? If it doesn't work, something is wrong. One posibility is that you've disabled demand-loading of commands (this is set via the DEMANDLOAD system variable). Otherwise, there could be a permissions issue, or a bug in the installer for that matter.

PaulG

Thanks a bunch for being so fast to respond.

So then..., I ran "OpenDCL.Runtime.6.0.2.5.msi" to install the user version and it shows up in her  "Program Files/Common Files" The "OpenDCL" folder is there with all the arx files, so I believe it installed correctly.  And the DEMANDLOAD is set to 3, which should allow the opendcl command to work, I believe.  However, it doesn't, so I'm still puzzled.

Any other ideas?

-Paul

owenwengerd

Take a look in your registry to see if the demand-load keys got correctly installed. Depending on whether you installed for all users or only the current user, it is in either the HKLM or HKCU registry hive under Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R18.0\<your acad flavor>\Applications\OpenDCL. Verify that the value of LOADER points to the correct file. If it does, try loading the file manually by dragging and dropping into the AutoCAD drawing window. If it doesn't load manually, then the problem is with the file, not the demand-loading.

PaulG

I'll check that out.  On the installation, I didn't have an option to choose whether it's for all users or just for this user.  Should have I seen something like that when running the runtime installer?

owenwengerd

You're right, there is no option for the runtime; it must be installed for all users.