Open DCL vs DCL

Started by mailmaverick, November 26, 2013, 11:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mailmaverick

Hi All,

I have just joined in this forum. Firstly, my greetings to all.

I have been using AutoLISP for the past 6 months and have made some small programs for my personal use. I have heard that DCL is the programming language for making forms in LISP. Beyond that I know nothing about DCL.
My queries are :-
1.) What exactly is DCL and what are its other uses ?
2.) What is Open DCL ? How is it different from DCL ?
3.) Which is better : Open DCL or DCL ? If i have to start learning, which should i learn ?

Please forgive me if any of my questions seem stupid.

Peter2

Hi

DCL is Dialogue Control Language, which is an old and stable way to define dialogue boxes. It is fully integrated into and documented in AutoCAD, and you need nothing else than a (simple) editor to write the DCL-code: no external features, no DLLs, no problems with x32 or x64 or the different AutoCAD versions. DCL runs from AutoCAD 14 / Win 98 to AutoCAD 2014 / Win 7 (8??) .... It offers you (nearly) all that you need: edit boxes, check boxes, pulldown, slides, button, ..
There were and are many examples what can be done with it.

The disadvantage is that is limited with its (graphic)-function - no color, no images, no folder-tree, ... and to write and create the code is "good old fashioned" coding (no funny drag and drop ...).

OpenDCL replaces DCL and offers features and an IDE "state-of-the-art". What it offers can be seen on its homepage and here in some forum examples. But is is a "modern software" - you have to consider which AutoCAD-version and which processors you (and your users) are using.

What to learn?
Maybe both.
Compare the pros and cons, consider what you will create (at first small things, later bigger ones ..) and where it will be used - and take a look at both solutions.
Peter
ODCL 8.1.... German, AutoCAD 2017 - 2018, Win 7 x64, Win 10

mailmaverick

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your explanation.

But as you told, compare the pros and cons.

What are the pros and cons of Open DCL and DCL ?

If we learn Open DCL, will it encompass all features of DCL ? In that case there is no need to learn DCL.

We are using AUTOCAD 2014 with 64 Bit operating system, Windows 7.

Peter2

Quote from: mailmaverick on November 27, 2013, 01:41:34 AM
...What are the pros and cons of Open DCL and DCL ?...
This is what I tried to explain very shortly above. Maybe other user will explain it better.

...If we learn Open DCL, will it encompass all features of DCL ? In that case there is no need to learn DCL....
Yes, OpenDCL does everything and more then DCL. But in DCL you can make a simple dialogue in 20-30 lines which runs everywhere; in OpenDCL you need more "environment".
...We are using AUTOCAD 2014 with 64 Bit operating system, Windows 7.
No problem - it will work fine. If your tools are used in a "closed environment" (only you and your colleagues; one OS-version, one AutoCAD-version) you will have (nearly) no administration work. But if your partners or customers say: "Hey, you have a fine tool. I will use it too! But I have Acad 2009 under Win XP 32 and my boss has Acad 2011 under Win 8 ..." - then you have  to think about it.
Peter
ODCL 8.1.... German, AutoCAD 2017 - 2018, Win 7 x64, Win 10

mailmaverick

Dear Peter

Thanks for your explanation.

Fred Tomke

Hi, I started working with ObjectDCL (the former name of OpenDCL) in 2004 (what a long time!) after many headaches because of native DCL.
That's why, I don't miss native DCL a single second: it's hard to develop, hard to control, hard to manage, no just-in-time preview, no custom controls (as Peter said), no layout changes at runtime (resizing and so on), no modeless forms, no palettes. Nothing.

OpenDCL is a 3rd party product. And like every 3rd party product it has to be installed and kept up-todate. The OpenDCL release has to match with your app and to the underlying CAD product.

Regards, Fred
Fred Tomke
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Landespflege

[ landscaper - landscape developer - digital landscape and urban design]

khann

Hi,  ;D.
In my story, I coded with DCL for many years before 2009.
As Fred said, I think DCL is simple but very difficult to manage code, and cannot figure out graphic interface.
My very first reason of using Open DCL is just to show a picture.  8)

mailmaverick

Thank you all for ur replies.