list box geometry properties

Started by Jim Short, August 21, 2009, 07:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Short

Put up a modal dialog with two list boxes arranged side by side.

Notice that list box geometry properties only provides a Left Side "Offset from Center of Dialog" option. If there was also a Right Side "Offset from Center of Dialog" option, the distance between the two boxes would be maintained while stretching the form. Is this true? Also could it work for any pair of horizontally arranged resizing controls?

Left Box Settings:
Left from left
Right from center

Right Box Settings:
Left from center
Right from right

Jim
Jim Short

owenwengerd

You can achieve what you describe by making the left side offset from the center, and the right side relative to the left.

Jim Short

I tried this on the left box:

Left Box Settings:
Left from center
Right grayed out as "Offset From Left Edge"

Right Box Settings:
Left from center
Right from right

This maintained the left box in the center of the left area, it did not maintain the distance between the neighboring edges of the two boxes, nor attempt to stretch the left box to do so.

Note:
Choosing left side alignment "Offset from Center of Dialog" only grays Right Side Alignment box for the current edit. Opening the properties dialog again does not re-gray out that choice therefore allowing one to select the second option.

My goal is to display left of left box grounded to left side of form, right of right box grounded to right side of the form and the right of the left and left of the right maintaining a constant separation in the center of the form, such that when form is stretched only boxes are proportionally stretched.

Please can you list the two choices for each box that might accomplish. Is this behavior not intended?

Jim
Jim Short

owenwengerd

I see, there is no way to align the right side of a control to the center of the dialog. I've attached an .odcl that shows a workaround using a splitter.

Jim Short

Thanks Owen,
I never used a splitter before. Once added to the form, it shows in the alignment choices of other controls.
This is a good work around.

Jim
Jim Short