Code attachment Naming.

Started by Kerry, December 15, 2009, 03:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry

Code attachment Naming.

I have a wish item.

Can those of us who post .LSP and .ODCL code please try to make the names unique  ie perhaps prefix with our initials.

I save code to a ODCL_FORUMTESTING folder that is on my Acad path and good naming helps find stuff and stops overwrites.

I too, will try to be better behaved.

Perfection is not optional.
My other home is TheSwamp

BazzaCAD

I wonder if there's a way to update the Forums attachment code to add the user name automatically.
I'll see if I can find something but doubtful..

a.k.a.
Barry Ralphs
barryDOTralphsATgmailDOTcom

Fred Tomke

Boy, you download all these files? I do not even save the files I upload.
But of course, we could think about it.

Fred
Fred Tomke
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Landespflege

[ landscaper - landscape developer - digital landscape and urban design]

owenwengerd

I just rename the files when I save them. That way I can use names that are meaningful to me. Immediately after saving the .lsp, I [Open] it and add the original .odcl filename as the project key, remove any hard coded paths, and make whatever other edits need to be made in order to run it safely. Bottom line: I don't care how they're named, but it's nice when they are the bare minimum needed to serve their purpose.

Kerry

Quote from: BazzaCAD on December 15, 2009, 03:53:56 PM
I wonder if there's a way to update the Forums attachment code to add the user name automatically.

AutoRenaming may not work ... 'cause of (dcl_project_load <file_Name_String> T)

.. and 'cause control names in code depend on the file name

added : ahhh ... Owen beat me :)

Fred Tomke

Quote from: BazzaCAD on December 15, 2009, 03:53:56 PM

Just a thought: the files may differ from time to time although they belong to the same topic. Maybe a timestamp could help. On the other hand the filenames are getting longer and longer and longer:

FT_20091217005830_PaletteKeepFocus.lsp

No, no good idea of mine ...

Fred
Fred Tomke
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Landespflege

[ landscaper - landscape developer - digital landscape and urban design]

Kerry

Quote from: owenwengerd on December 15, 2009, 03:58:00 PM
< ... >, but it's nice when they are the bare minimum needed to serve their purpose.

Seems like a good time to post this link http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/csharp/complete.html

Short but complete programs
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution. - Bertrand Russell

(Note: this page is written by Jon Skeet, from a first person perspective - but if you've been directed here by someone else, chances are they share the same basic views on the topic.)

owenwengerd

Thanks Kerry. I've been thinking about writing something like this specifically for OpenDCL problems.