Large scale deployment

Started by kenkrupa, June 24, 2011, 09:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owenwengerd

Quote from: kenkrupa on June 24, 2011, 02:12:35 PM
But if they install my app on the server, will that solve the problem?

Ah, that is a slightly different issue, and I didn't realize that this is what you were after. You're on the right track re. automatically kicking off the MSI at runtime, and since you're already using AutoLISP, I suppose a lisp based solution is just as good as using a more common group policy or startup script approach. Sorry, I'm not sure why your '/qn' switch isn't working.

Fred Tomke

(startapp "msiexec.exe" (strcat "/i \"" msi "\" /qn"))
Unfortunately, the above line does not work with the /qn switch - don't know why. It does work without it, but not "quietly".

kenkrupa, just create a batch file in Temp folder with the desired line to call and startup the batch file from AutoCAD.

Fred
Fred Tomke
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Landespflege

[ landscaper - landscape developer - digital landscape and urban design]

kenkrupa

Quote from: Fred Tomke on June 24, 2011, 03:13:47 PM
(startapp "msiexec.exe" (strcat "/i \"" msi "\" /qn"))
Unfortunately, the above line does not work with the /qn switch - don't know why. It does work without it, but not "quietly".

kenkrupa, just create a batch file in Temp folder with the desired line to call and startup the batch file from AutoCAD.

I don't have time to do this today, but it sounds perfect! Thank you :)

Owen - being that this is the same thing Innosetup would do, with the same .msi file, if my stuff were installed by Innosetup instead of copied to a system, would even you give your OK to this?  ;)  (I would continue to install it with the Innosetup, but only have this procedure as an alternate method for if/when my app gets copied to systems.)

Thanks
Ken

owenwengerd

Yep, the crucial step is to call msiexec so it can properly register the runtime installation in Windows. Whether that happens via your initial app installer or at runtime doesn't matter, as long as it happens. If you haven't seen it yet, check out this thread.

kenkrupa

Quote from: owenwengerd on June 25, 2011, 07:40:05 AM
Yep, the crucial step is to call msiexec so it can properly register the runtime installation in Windows. Whether that happens via your initial app installer or at runtime doesn't matter, as long as it happens. If you haven't seen it yet, check out this thread.

OK - I believe I'm all set now. Thank you Owen and Fred.   :)

kenkrupa

Quote from: kenkrupa on June 25, 2011, 08:58:10 AM
OK - I believe I'm all set now.

Well, not quite as good as hoped. The /qn doesn't work in a .bat file either - it does nothing with it included. My guess is that the UAC won't allow it. I think that when done in Innosetup the UAC has already gotten your permission to alter the system. So startapp works just as well as the .bat. To avoid timing problems, on failure to load I'll advise to run a special command that I'll provide to install it. Good enough.

owenwengerd

Hmm, I guess you could wrap this into an .exe that includes a manifest requiring Administrator/AsInvoker privileges, but I would think just startapp-ing the MSI would have the same effect.

Bottom line, I think there's room for improvement in the deployment possibilities for OpenDCL Runtime, but I'm not sure how it could be improved.

Fred Tomke

Quote from: kenkrupa on June 27, 2011, 01:05:19 PM
My guess is that the UAC won't allow it.

Hi, as far as I remember my test, I was asked by UAC to confirm the installation.
Maybe it will help to call the batch file with runas?

runas [/profile] [/env] [/netonly] /user:loginname program

Regards,
Fred
Fred Tomke
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Landespflege

[ landscaper - landscape developer - digital landscape and urban design]