Citrix server

Started by Danner, October 13, 2011, 07:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danner

Hi,

Does anyone have any thoughts about installing and running an OpenDCL/lisp application through a remote Citrix server? I have no experience of this setup and am presuming (perhaps wrongly) there is no local Autocad install at all. 

See http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=13959101

Any thoughts about whether it is possible? Any potential pitfalls? Anything else? I am completely ignorant about this sort of set up.

Many thanks in anticipation.

owenwengerd

In such a setup, both AutoCAD and OpenDCL would be installed on the server, and should work fine from a technical standpoint. The problem is that the AutoCAD EULA prohibits this sort of thing.

Danner

Thanks Owen, good to know.

Danner

Hi Owen,

I can confirm that the Runtime is indeed working on Citrix.  (Apparently it is legit, Autodesk wise).

The only thing which seems to fail  are HTML controls/connecting to the internet which is a shame. 

The server is running Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition, 64-bit (build 7600).

Any thoughts or bright ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers

owenwengerd

Quote from: Danner on April 12, 2013, 06:12:40 AM
The only thing which seems to fail  are HTML controls/connecting to the internet which is a shame.

Is the problem that your server does not have an internet connection, or do you think it's a problem with OpenDCL's internet access implementation?

Danner

Hi Owen,

The Citrix administrator has responded as follows:

"Yes they have an internet connection but if they are trying to reach something specific and direct it may become an issue as we use a proxy."

Danner

Citrix Administrator has added:

"Is there a way to get it to use IE settings so it picks up the proxy details?"

Danner

AutoCAD/ActiveX is also having problems connecting to other applications such as Excel.  So I'm starting to think the HTML control issue may somehow be related.

The server is running AutoCAD 2011, which I think may not be officially  "Citrix Ready".  So that could be a possible reason too.

Danner

Ok, the reason Autocad isn't connecting to Microsoft Office is because they are on different servers.  Autocad is on its own server due its high resource requirements.

owenwengerd

The OpenDCL HTML control is the Internet Explorer control inside a dialog, and as far as I can tell it should use the same settings as IE running standalone.

Danner

Hi Owen,

I am informed that IE is not "published" for everyone who uses the server just for AutoCAD.

Anyway I can report the html control works for local files just not online ones.   Also when AutoCAD 2011's online Help is launched - IE launches but doesn't go online but opens the local help files.

So this leads me to conclude this is purely due to the way the server/IE is setup rather than any issue with the html control.

Seeing as the server administrator has set things up in such a way because of concerns about the resource requirements of AutoCAD, I am inclining towards leaving things be.  I would hate to recommend changes to their setup and increase the likelihood of crashes etc.

Many thanks.