Foreign language support

Started by LibertyOne, February 15, 2008, 03:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LibertyOne

In the German OpenDCL Localization Project I've noticed that sometimes the umlauts (you know, those foreign vowels with the dots, dashes and gizmos above them) aren't working. In my posts they somehow do, but in Fred's they don't. Does that have to do with a language setting?

For example: the word should be "darüber" and it shows as "darüber"

Fred Tomke

Hi LibertyOne,

Please have a look at your profile http://www.opendcl.com/forum/index.php?action=profile. Here you can select the language. You will see German twice. Try the last one and let's see if it helps.

Fred
Fred Tomke
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Landespflege

[ landscaper - landscape developer - digital landscape and urban design]

LibertyOne

decisions, decisions, decisions...

ok, check this out -- I changed my language setting to "German" (the second one in the list) and I could then read all your umlauts, but mine were all replaced with a question mark. So I then tried the first "German" in the list. There were again all of your umlauts in hieroglyphics and mine were fine again. So I've opted to go back to English. But why is it so mixed up like that? I'm baffled. I can still read your messages in German but it's just annoying that the hieroglyphics are there.

One note that I should add though, is that I'm using an English keyboard and make my umlauts with ALT+####. (holding the alt key down while entering a 4 digit code) For example: for ue I type ALT+0252 which comes direct from the character map.

BazzaCAD

The reason this is 2 versions is because one is "UTF-8" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8 and the other isn't. But I'm not sure why it doesn't work for you and works for others. It sound more like the creation of them is the issue, but I don't have much experience in the area. Sorry
a.k.a.
Barry Ralphs
barryDOTralphsATgmailDOTcom

LibertyOne

testing 1...2...3...

ä ö ü ß Ä Ãâ€" ÃÅ" let's see if this is working...

Aleksandr Tkachenko

And Russian or a Ukranian language awakes?

LibertyOne

ä ö ü ß Ä Ãâ€" ÃÅ"

just another test - this time from a different computer and keyboard setting...  :)