Confusion(?) on the download-site

Started by Peter2, February 09, 2016, 06:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter2

Maybe a topic already discussed, and it's not me who is "confused" ...

I told a user to "download and install OpenDCL" (I meant the runtime). He reported troubles usign my VLX -  it worked under Acad2015, but under 2016 he gets "opendcL: unknown command"

I looked at his PC and found that he had installed the "studio". Besides the problem that he has problems and it should work with Studio too, we started the download page:
http://www.opendcl.com/download/

The page has ..

Chapter 1: Donate

Chapter 2: Studio - If you're new to OpenDCL start here. ...

Chapter 3: Runtime - For advanced users: The Runtime is used to deploy ...

I believe (because I saw this behaviour by the user) that a user who only wants to run OpenDCL sees the page and thinks:
"Studio - for new users: that's for me ... Runtime: for advanced users - uh, not for me."

So I want to discuss if the information on the download page could be changed like:
"Runtime - for users / Studio - for developers"

Fine?
or not?

Regards

Peter
Peter
ODCL 8.1.... German, AutoCAD 2017 - 2018, Win 7 x64, Win 10

owenwengerd

Very good point, Peter. I think the expectation was that developers would distribute the runtime along with their applications, so end users would get it from developers. Obviously that isn't always the case.

Peter2

Quote from: owenwengerd on February 09, 2016, 02:45:06 PM
... Obviously that isn't always the case.
Thanks Owen

The guys from Autodesk Exchange Apps say that the publishers should not add additional software to the original package (which is integrated in a standard installer for Autloader-bundles), but the publisher should define: "Prerequisites: You have to install software A and software B." And that's the reason for my posting ..
Peter

Fred Tomke

Hi, I always use http://www.opendcl.com/go?runtime&dev to lead the customer to the current runtime release.
Regards, Fred
Fred Tomke
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Landespflege

[ landscaper - landscape developer - digital landscape and urban design]

Peter2

Hi Fred

that's the best way to get the "final result", the software. But for users who want to know "What is OpenDCL?" the need to take a look to the main page.
Peter

velasquez

Quote from: Peter2 on February 09, 2016, 02:51:39 PM
Quote from: owenwengerd on February 09, 2016, 02:45:06 PM
... Obviously that isn't always the case.
Thanks Owen

The guys from Autodesk Exchange Apps say that the publishers should not add additional software to the original package (which is integrated in a standard installer for Autloader-bundles), but the publisher should define: "Prerequisites: You have to install software A and software B." And that's the reason for my posting ..

Hi Peter
Where can I find more information on this subject?
Thanks

Peter2

Quote from: velasquez on February 11, 2016, 11:10:05 AM...Where can I find more information on this subject?...
Not really more information - I just asked them via mail "What to do with additional software like OpenDCl and DosLib when publishing apps at the store?"
And they said "Don't add it to your package. Write to the information that it is a prerequisite software."
Peter