Beginner in OpenDCL - How start?

Started by abdala, August 13, 2008, 05:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abdala

Hello,
I'm LISP programmer and nowadays I always use DCL in the VisualLisp console.
I already made a lot of programms to industries and now, I listen about OpenDCL in the Autodesk forum.
Well, my questions is:

- OpenDCL is free to download and use?
- How the exact link to download and start the application OpenDCL?
  I ever seen a lot of links to download, for exemple: "OpenDCL Runtime" "OpenDCL Studio" "OpenDCL.." "..."
  What is the correct to me start?
- The OpenDCL works togheter Visual Lisp IDE and needs LISP code to activate the Dialog?

PS: I use AutoCad 2000i and MDT 5.0
Thank you.

Ladimir Abdala
Thyssenkrupp Elevators
Americas Business Unit

jb

- OpenDCL is free to download and use?
Yes. You'll want to start with the last stable build, 4.1.2.2

- How the exact link to download and start the application OpenDCL?
Go here to download: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=187950

I ever seen a lot of links to download, for exemple: "OpenDCL Runtime" "OpenDCL Studio" "OpenDCL.." "..."
The OpenDCL Runtime is the arx file that holds the code that interacts with AutoCAD and lisp.  You'll need this to be loaded into AutoCAD before you can start using OpenDCL.

The OpenDCL Studio is a stand alone editor that lets you create the dialog boxes by "drawing" them. It's a totally graphic editor - no code except for the Controls (buttons, listboxes) event and property code.  The editor creates compiled code that can be added write to your Lisp File that contains all the dialog box information - no need for a seperate dcl file.

- The OpenDCL works togheter Visual Lisp IDE and needs LISP code to activate the Dialog?
Yes.  Once you download the Runtime and Studio editor I would suggest downloading this simple example: http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=24215.0

Not sure about this one - would that be OpenDCL.16.arx? anyone? Bueller?

I hope this helps.  I've never been one that neaded a lot of training when it comes to, well, a lot of things.  I just get in there are start hammering away at it.  So my best advice is to download it and immerse yourself in the program.  Ask questions and get plenty of help along the way. (here and over at theSwamp.org)  I'll be happy to help as time allows.
James Buzbee
Managing Memeber
Black Horse Development, LLC

owenwengerd

Quote from: abdala on August 13, 2008, 05:03:01 AM

Sorry, OpenDCL only supports AutoCAD 2004 and later versions of AutoCAD.

BazzaCAD

Hi Ladimir,
Welcome to the team.
Oops, looks like Owen beat me to it. Ya sorry only 2004 & up.
Also, thank you JB for the detailed replay.
However Ladimir, you don't need to download both the Studio & the Runtime. To get started just download the Studio, it will install the runtime at the same time.
Once you get to know OpenDCL better & you start pushing your app's out to others, then you can give them the runtime also.
The multiple links in the Studio are for the different language versions:
English (ENU), German (DEU), Chinese (CHS), Spanish (ESM), & French (FRA)

If you can make it to AU2008 this year I'll be teaching a class on OpenDCL designed for new users like yourself.
a.k.a.
Barry Ralphs
barryDOTralphsATgmailDOTcom

Fred Tomke

Hi, Ladimir,

welcome to OpenDCL board.

There are several introducing tutorials for this. Joel Roderick wrote one in English and I wrote one in German ( http://www.objectdcl.de/ but it is not much). Both of them are based on the old ObjectDCL - we still have to update them to OpenDCL.

Fred
Fred Tomke
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Landespflege

[ landscaper - landscape developer - digital landscape and urban design]

abdala

Thanks my friend. What a pit that opendcl not function in Autocad2000i.
But I still wait update the software in my company...

My best regards.
Abdala

Quote from: Fred Tomke on August 14, 2008, 12:07:16 AM
Hi, Ladimir,

welcome to OpenDCL board.

There are several introducing tutorials for this. Joel Roderick wrote one in English and I wrote one in German ( http://www.objectdcl.de/ but it is not much). Both of them are based on the old ObjectDCL - we still have to update them to OpenDCL.

Fred

abdala

Thank you for answers.
You clarify my doubts.
Well, I'll wait our AutoCAD update to use this powerful application....
AutoCAD 2000i and MDT5 is a big fight to update here in the company.
We wants upgrade to Inventor and AutoCAD 2009, but... not yet.

My thanks for all you.
Best regards.
Abdala

Quote from: BazzaCAD on August 13, 2008, 08:39:56 AM
Hi Ladimir,
Welcome to the team.
Oops, looks like Owen beat me to it. Ya sorry only 2004 & up.
Also, thank you JB for the detailed replay.
However Ladimir, you don't need to download both the Studio & the Runtime. To get started just download the Studio, it will install the runtime at the same time.
Once you get to know OpenDCL better & you start pushing your app's out to others, then you can give them the runtime also.
The multiple links in the Studio are for the different language versions:
English (ENU), German (DEU), Chinese (CHS), Spanish (ESM), & French (FRA)

If you can make it to AU2008 this year I'll be teaching a class on OpenDCL designed for new users like yourself.