newbie in doubt

Started by reneke, April 04, 2009, 11:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reneke

Hello,

I found out about Open DCL just yesterday, because I want to publish all of my Lisp routines that I've made the past years. Before publishing them on my website (www.rschepers.com) I want to make them a bit more user friendly bij adding DCL menu's. That's when I found out about Open DCL.  The screenshots look promising.
However this topic holds me back before going in to ODCL: http://www.opendcl.com/forum/index.php?topic=694.0
I do not want to force my users to install openDcl. I was hoping to pack the .lsp, .odcl and some opendcl runtime file into a zip for each application. But after reading the above post it looks like it is not that simple. And even if this is possible: how do I test it if the program works for a user that has not installed OpenDCL? By uninstalling OpenDCL every time?

Suggestions? Visions?

Thanks,
rene

BazzaCAD

Quote from: reneke on April 04, 2009, 11:56:38 AM
Hello,

I found out about Open DCL just yesterday, because I want to publish all of my Lisp routines that I've made the past years. Before publishing them on my website (www.rschepers.com) I want to make them a bit more user friendly bij adding DCL menu's. That's when I found out about Open DCL.  The screenshots look promising.
However this topic holds me back before going in to ODCL: http://www.opendcl.com/forum/index.php?topic=694.0
I do not want to force my users to install openDcl. I was hoping to pack the .lsp, .odcl and some opendcl runtime file into a zip for each application. But after reading the above post it looks like it is not that simple. And even if this is possible: how do I test it if the program works for a user that has not installed OpenDCL? By uninstalling OpenDCL every time?

Suggestions? Visions?

Thanks,
rene

Don't think of it as forcing them to install something, it's just a prerequisite that needs to be installed.  Just like when Acad installs it checks to see if the .NET framework is there or not & does the install if needed. The ODCL runtime is really easy to install. Just download the runtime .msi file and send it along with your ODCL app. You can tell the end user to manually install the .msi, or you can add it to your own installer if you have one,  or you could even write some type of script or .BAT to do the install when you app starts up for the first time.

QuoteI was hoping to pack the .lsp, .odcl and some opendcl runtime file into a zip for each application
Yes you can do that, just send the runtime.msi install file.

Quotehow do I test it if the program works for a user that has not installed OpenDCL? By uninstalling OpenDCL every time?
I'm not sure I understand you on this one. If you're calling ODCL functions & they don't have ODCL runtime installed, they'll get unknown function errors & nothing will work.

a.k.a.
Barry Ralphs
barryDOTralphsATgmailDOTcom