OpenDCL > Deployment

Creating an Installer with Inno Setup tutorial now online

<< < (6/7) > >>

Fred Tomke:

--- Quote from: owenwengerd on June 24, 2011, 01:56:53 PM ---On the other hand there is a .01% chance of an app encountering a missing runtime
--- End quote ---

Indeed, there is a 100% chance: if a newer or different AutoCAD release is installed after the app was installed. And this is very often. At least once a year, if a new AutoCAD release will be published.

I need to know: if I use the MSM, is there any chance to initiate repairing the OpenDCL without reparing or reinstalling the whole app when I don't see the OpenDCL runtime in the control panel?

Regards, Fred

owenwengerd:

--- Quote from: Fred Tomke on June 24, 2011, 03:24:40 PM ---Indeed, there is a 100% chance: if a newer or different AutoCAD release is installed after the app was installed.
--- End quote ---

I meant 0.01% of normal apps. I think yours is, shall we say, structurally deficient. [Ok, now I will stop giving you a hard time - at least until July  8) ]

If a new release of AutoCAD is installed, a conventionally installed app will not initially load in the new release until it is reinstalled (or repaired, to use Windows Installer terminology). When your app is installed for the new release of AutoCAD, OpenDCL will be installed as well. At least, that is, if your app is installed by conventional means.

If you do some hokey startup with a custom exe that starts and loads itself into a new release of AutoCAD that has been freshly installed even though you never tested your app with it, then yes, your app starter is responsible to make sure the runtime is installed as well. I would avoid such a startup system at all costs, but your custom autocad starter can certainly check and run the MSI if needed.

Fred Tomke:
Hello, Owen, I hoped that you've noticed that I've tried to use the past tense form here. But obviously, I was not clear enough. In the past we could be sure to 100% that these customers which would install this single product of us wouldn't use any other OpenDCL based app and we were not disappointed. One of the parts was an AutoCAD-OEM and we were forced by contract to remove any way to extend the OEM. So our product was the only app in this case. But as I already mentioned, it was in the past. Currently, we are splitting our app because of many other reasons (localisation, supporting thick clients not at least because of non-signed .NET-DLL's, and so on), which are not OpenDCL-related. Since there won't be any ObjectDCL forms anymore, all lisp based forms are OpenDCL based now and we can choose an other way of installation now.

I never wanted to say the copying the files is a "better" solution or a solution at all - I only wanted to say that it worked for ten years.

Regards, Fred

owenwengerd:
Ah, ok, I understand that using AutoCAD OEM changes the equation in your favor. I hope it is now clear that your experience in that unusual case does not apply in the general case. In the general case, installing the MSI via Innosetup is not perfect, but still pretty good -- certainly good enough for the vast majority of applications, and certainly way better than trying to reinvent DLL Hell.

Peter2:

--- Quote from: Fred Tomke on June 24, 2011, 02:51:37 PM ---Owen, any site I've found to Inno Setup and Merge Modules recommend to wrap the MSM into an MSI and to start the MSI like in the tutorial. ...
--- End quote ---
I just searched the Innosetup Online Help http://www.jrsoftware.org/ishelp/ for "MSM" -> no result. So I can assume that there is nothing new?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version