improve the dos_proplist function?

Started by Kelie, June 25, 2009, 12:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelie

have you used the dos_proplist function? i've been using it for years to get simple user input. see pic below.

but i hope the input can be something other than text string, i.e., listbox, combobox, checklist,etc. and the syntax of the function would be something like

(dcl_proplist title prompt lists) where each list contains, say 4 members:

1. rowHeader (str)
2. ctrlType (int)
3. values ("" or nil for TextBox)
4. default (default value for the control)

for the argument ctrlType, maybe the valid numbers can be:
0 - TextBox
1 - ListBox
2 - ComboBox
3 - CheckBox
4 - CheckList

would it be a lot of work to implement it as a standard function for OpenDCL? anyone else thinks this will be useful? if not, i'll tackle this myself. i guess need to start with using a grid?

thanks.

Fred Tomke

Hi, Kelie,

Of course it is possible to create such a form with OpenDCL. But I wouldn't implement it in the Runtime as a function. OpenDCL is a developer tool for designing forms. But what you want is a library with typical standard forms to avoid multiple developments for nearly the same work. But I think it's not a task of OpenDCL itself.

Indeed, it could be an idea to create a library with standard forms and tasks created in OpenDCL studio and offer it as a free component to implement in your product. Then you could call again (cdcl_proplist title prompt lists) again  :)

Fred
Fred Tomke
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Landespflege

[ landscaper - landscape developer - digital landscape and urban design]

copter

Hi
As a good news, Doslib.brx is now (since last week) fully implemented with Bricscad (V9.3.5 beta pro only)
And maybe opendcl very soon ?  ;)
Copter

Kelie

Quote from: Fred Tomke on June 25, 2009, 01:13:12 AM
Hi, Kelie,

Of course it is possible to create such a form with OpenDCL. But I wouldn't implement it in the Runtime as a function. OpenDCL is a developer tool for designing forms. But what you want is a library with typical standard forms to avoid multiple developments for nearly the same work. But I think it's not a task of OpenDCL itself.

Fred

Fred, Thanks for your comment. Aside from the reason that IMHO such a function would be a nice addition, I asked this also because I noticed OpenDCL provides functions like dcl_BinFile_Read, dcl_BinFile_Write, etc. which doesn't seem to have much to do with GUI. Plus, a lot of lisp commands require input from user. Rather than using command line, having a generic grid to gather simple input would be really convenient. A couple of engineering software that i'm familiar with use this kind of grid.

I'm going to mess with it myself. Should be a good opportunity to learn using grid. Thanks again.