Network-based install

Started by thatcadguy, November 25, 2009, 04:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatcadguy

If any of you were wondering if you can create a network-based install of the OpenDCL runtime (so you don't have to install it on everyone's computer!), the answer is yes.  Someone may come and say that ____ could go wrong, but so far this has worked perfectly for me and I have had zero problems.

http://thatcadguy.blogspot.com/2009/10/network-based-opendcl-deployment.html

The blog post includes a piece of code showing how you can load the correct arx file based on your processor architecture and version of AutoCAD.  Enjoy.

P.S. As far as licensing goes, I believe this will still be compliant with the GNU GPL as long as you provide a link to a copy of the License.htm that comes with OpenDCL.

owenwengerd

Note that your lisp code fails in Bricscad (because Bricscad uses a .brx file extension). Manual installation disconnects the files from Windows' reference counting mechanism, which means that installing multiple simultaneous OpenDCL applications may not work properly.

BazzaCAD

Yes this is possible, but we try no to prompt it too much.
We used to have a manual loading example in the samples folder that got installed with the studio, but it causes a lot of confusion.

• People didn't copy all the files (.dll's) to the network.
  • Had it installed both locally & on the network & didn't know where it was loading from.
  • Had different versions installed locally then on the network.
  • Had 3rd. party ODCL apps installed that relied on a different version of the runtime.
  • Etc...

In the end it was just easier to remove the manual loading example & promote the installation of the runtime.
If you're a CAD Manager & can control all this stuff in-house & don't allow your users to installed 3rd. party apps, then it will work fine for you...

a.k.a.
Barry Ralphs
barryDOTralphsATgmailDOTcom