Usage of "Mnemonics"?

Started by Peter2, October 13, 2013, 07:05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter2

Hi

maybe I'm searching for the wrong keywords, but in DCL I can define "Mnemonics" to activate a control via keyboard. How to do it with OpenDCL?

Regards
Peter
ODCL 8.1.... German, AutoCAD 2017 - 2018, Win 7 x64, Win 10

owenwengerd

Precede the mnemonic character with an ampersand character in the control's caption, like so:
Press &Me

Peter2

Thanks, Owen.

But is it not described in Help? I could not find "*mne*" and not "*amper*" ...
Peter

Fred Tomke

Hi, Peter, as far I as I remember it is not mentioned in the help. Which control - beside the Textbutton - would use this, too?

Regards, Fred
Fred Tomke
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Landespflege

[ landscaper - landscape developer - digital landscape and urban design]

Peter2

Quote from: Fred Tomke on October 13, 2013, 10:40:02 AM
... Which control - beside the Textbutton - would use this, too?...
I did not check it all and did not studied it in detail, but I would say basically that "intensive usage of keyboard needs tab(-order) and mnemonics". Text button, inputs, lists, navigating inside large dialogues ... - all could be done with mnemonics.

But I'm aware that
- it is a lot of work to create well-structured, correct mnemonics and
- nearly nobody uses it - many people use always (!) the mouse for navigating (login to Windows: type name - use mouse to password - type password - use mouse to OK ....)
Peter

owenwengerd

I can't research the documentation at the moment (I'm on my way to the airport now to fly to Germany for the Bricsys International Conference in Darmstadt -- maybe I will see you there?). Mnemonic is the correct technical term for it, however sometimes these are also referred to as "hotkey" in user documentation. The ampersand mnemonic prefix is common in Windows programming, so probably many programmers know it intuitively, but it probably should be added to the documentation if there is no mention of it. It should work in any control, even static Frame and Label controls, which are sometimes used to create a tab stop for a group of controls which follow.

Peter2

Quote from: owenwengerd on October 13, 2013, 11:51:10 AM...I'm on my way to the airport now to fly to Germany for the Bricsys International Conference in Darmstadt ...
Then I wish you a good and safe journey!

Quote from: owenwengerd on October 13, 2013, 11:51:10 AM...maybe I will see you there?...
No, i'm sorry. No Bricscad at the moment ...

Quote from: owenwengerd on October 13, 2013, 11:51:10 AM...so probably many programmers know it intuitively, but it probably should be added to the documentation if there is no mention of it. ...
Yes, I think it would be helpful.

Quote from: owenwengerd on October 13, 2013, 11:51:10 AM...It should work in any control, even static Frame and Label controls, which are sometimes used to create a tab stop for a group of controls which follow.
Thanks for clarification. I will take a look at it the next time.
Peter