What about "save to old version" ? and clean data ?

Started by stephan_35, August 13, 2009, 01:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephan_35

Hello,

I'm always afraid with getting new version of opendcl, because if i discover a bug or a problem with no issue, what can i do ???

Is-it possible getting an option which can save to an older one ????

Another thing, is it possible to have older data of older opendcl staying in odcl file, if yes, is -it possible to clean all of them ?

Thanks !
OpenDCL 6.0.0.6 / Editor 5.1.2.3  / Vista 32 Bits
Development of  specific tools for trades in AutoLisp - php - sql

owenwengerd

You can make backups of your .odcl files before you save them in a newer format, then fall back on the backup if you encounter a problem with the new version. I'm not sure what you mean by "older data" staying in .odcl files, but I'm not aware of anything unused that is left in the file.

stephan_35

Quote from: owenwengerd on August 13, 2009, 06:46:15 AM
You can make backups of your .odcl files before you save them in a newer format, then fall back on the backup if you encounter a problem with the new version. I'm not sure what you mean by "older data" staying in .odcl files, but I'm not aware of anything unused that is left in the file.

Yes, i also make some backups of odcl files, but, my problem is (and  probably  also for other) that i discover problems after many changes of new odcl files ....

you've got right about "older data" staying in odcl files, that is probably why some of my palette already shown in docked mode , i will make an example to discover if that is true.

Understand you about not be aware of unuse data left in odcl files , nevermind, i will try with copy/past in new odcl files ..    ;)

Thanks.

Kerry

'TortoiseSVN The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control'

http://tortoisesvn.net/
http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads
Perfection is not optional.
My other home is TheSwamp

stephan_35

Quote from: Kerry Brown on August 13, 2009, 02:46:23 PM
'TortoiseSVN The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control'

http://tortoisesvn.net/
http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads

Thanks for links, but, i don't really understand what is new with this soft ?

Maybe it can keep all odcl files with editor ?, but my real problem as i try to explain is that i have to add more controls inside my project, so , if i discover something wrong in opendcl, comming back lost my work ....

I think, the faster was, if it's possible, to add an option to save odcl files to an older version, only owenwengerd can do this  ;)

But, i will have a look to the link ....  ;)

Thanks again

Fred Tomke

Hi stephan,

I know what you mean with studio update. Actually, there shouldn't be no reason for saving into older release. Normally, changes are made in the runtime and in the HelpFiles; changes in the Studio are few - but that's my feeling. So that's why we do not update to every single Studio update. But, of course we test our code and projects with the newer runtimes.

To get the new features and fixes for the runtime I install the newer runtime msi. If this runtime release contains some effects I don't like (or causes crashes) I return to the runtime release I've installed before. So the newer runtime release has no effect to the Studio or my project files at all. Note, that odcl files saved in older Studio releases should work everytime with newer runtime releases. As far as I remember, newly added properties and events to the controls are automatically updated when an older project will be loaded with a newer runtime.

For the time you want to update OpenDCL Studio, too, I do underline the statement of Owen to make a backup before saving into a newer format or even make daily backups, although I know everybody may ignore it  ;) and get a bad conscience if a file cannot be opened anymore and there's no backup to restore...  ;D

Fred
Fred Tomke
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Landespflege

[ landscaper - landscape developer - digital landscape and urban design]

stephan_35

Quote from: Fred Tomke on August 14, 2009, 04:42:49 AM

Fred

Thanks fred for these informations.

If i understand what you wrote, you mean " do not use the last editor" and work with new arx runtime ?, i'll try this way now !

Thanks again

Fred Tomke

stephan,

Quotedo not use the last editor

hm, that sounds too negative if you say it this way.  :-[ I'd prefer to say: Do not use that latest studio release in a production environment without having tested this release successfully before. This note is to be underlined especially for alpha-releases - this is important not only for OpenDCL, although if you are member of ADN and you are testing alpha- and beta-releases of AutoCAD.

Fred
Fred Tomke
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Landespflege

[ landscaper - landscape developer - digital landscape and urban design]

stephan_35

Quote from: Fred Tomke on August 14, 2009, 07:52:15 AM
stephan,

Quotedo not use the last editor

Fred

That was a question, malformed question  ;)

I will try as possible to make a try ...

I'm in a developpement environement, not in a production one (not yet !)
and i try to integer newest odcl runtimes as soon as possible , maybe too much quickly , because i didn't test all functions and event before update runtimes.

So if it's possible to work with an older editor for newer runtime, that is my issue for my problem !

Anyway thanks again !